Hand block printing is a traditional technique that has been used in Rajasthan, India for centuries. Skilled artisans draw on, intricately carve on and prepare wooden blocks by hand. These blocks are used to stamp on fabric repeatedly to produce a piece of printed cloth with a beautiful ’tiled’ design.
Images subject to copyright, please ask permission before use. © Andsara Pty Ltd
Special Care Instructions for Hand Block Printed Textiles
- Hand wash using cool water and a mild detergent, or
- Machine wash on a short, gentle cycle using mild detergent
- Do not soak
- Do not tumble dry
- Do not bleach
- Do not iron
- Wash separately or with similar colours as running may occur
- Hand stitched products are stitched by female artisans in Rajasthani villages – uneven edges or loose threads can be expected. This only adds to the charm of the piece and is not considered a defect.
- Andsara fabrics are block-printed by hand in India. Subtle colour and pattern variations can be expected and give this craft its distinctive aesthetic appeal.